The Refugee guide

Step 4 - Asylum rejected

Your asylum might be denied if you do not fulfil any of the conditions mentioned in the decision-making step (Acknowledgement of entitlement, Award of refugee protection, Award of subsidiary protection, Imposition of ban on deportation). In this case, you will be served with a negative decision and a request to leave the country. However, the good news is that you can appeal this decision through a Federal Court.

  • The federal office distinguishes two types of rejections - Outright rejection and rejection as "manifestly unfounded". With outright rejection, you are given a 30 day period to leave Germany while in the case of "manifestly unfounded" you have one week to leave.
  • If your asylum application is turned down, then this means until you leave the country you are not allowed to work during this period, and also are allowed to move outside of your vicinity except only after permission from the Federal Office.
  • An action of appeal can be brought before the administrative court and you will have only a few days in which do so, as soon as the decision has been delivered to you. You can apply for legal aid from the court.
  • If this your asylum application is rejected in such a way that cannot be fixed, then your right to asylum or refugee status will not be recognised also and so you must leave Germany by the date given to you and if you allow this deadline to pass, you will be forced to return to your home country and must pay for the deportation cost.
  • The immigration authorities can temporarily suspend a request to return to your country and issue a temporary suspension of deportation (Duldung) or a time-limited residence permit if there are obstacles to the return to your country which the Federal Office was not able to take into account in its decision.
  • If you do not leave the country voluntarily after your asylum application has been rejected, a statutory ban on entry and residence can be enforced on you by the Federal Office. With such a ban, your data is entered into the INPOL national police information system and in the Central Register of Foreigners. This means you cannot enter the Schengen countries and if you are found illegally residing in the area, you can be detained



This website was developed within the framework of "KOMM-AN NRW" funded by the State of North Rhine-Westphalia (Ministry of Labor, Integration and Social Affairs NRW).

Ce site Web a été développé dans le cadre de "KOMM-AN NRW" financé par l'état de Rhénanie du Nord-Westphalie (Ministère du Travail, de l'Intégration et des Affaires sociales NRW).

Logo Ministeriums für Kinder, Familie, Flüchtlinge und Integration des Landes Nordrhein-Westfalen
Gefordert in Rahmen der Komm-AN NRW